You must not know...the Black Man's Sorrow

on Saturday, July 19, 2008


Black Man

Uneducated, uninspired, unloving is what you'd lead me to believe
Woman hater, unproductive, born and breeded criminal is what you'd swear to be true
From birth you've casted away, disregarded and stripped his spirit of all germane.
Set up to knock down,
Giving to, to only take away,
All love, joy, hope, perseverance diminishes by your watch.
Excuses I give, you say? Oppression you give, I say.
Do you know what I know, I say? Do you care to know, you say?
So you must not know, I say ....

Well let me just introduce you to him.
He's a grandfather, a father, an uncle, a brother, a son
He's the backbone of a family and the love of one's heart
He's the first one to rise and the last one to rest
He works day in and day out with no advancement in sight
He carries his load, unfairly as it is, but yet no complaints you hear
See he knows his path is different, he understands the rules to this game
The same, is what he wants
The same humanly respect
The same quality education for his son
The same pay for having to work twice as hard
Do you know?
Do you know the load he carries?
Do you know his feeling of disappointment and failure?
Do you know how you continue to grease his slope to success?
Do you know his anger? his resentment?
Do you know he's still expected to smile, although you've given him a permanent frown?
When does it get better, he ask? When can I feel like a man?

Gaze deep into his eyes, search long within his soul
Wipe the fog from your glasses and you'll see
Amongst the charcoal filled insides, there lies a light.
A light that beams so bright and warm.
It's so shiny and radiant, it almost pierces your eyes.
Yet you can't turn away.
Calmness can be found within the light,
Happiness, satisfaction, wholeness all radiate in the light.
If you tilt your head and listen real closely,
the light hums a song of proclamation.
A song of fulfillment, a song of love.

But suddenly the light is gone ...You've appeared.
In an instance, he has awaken to life.
So again I ask, do you know??

Nahh, you must not know...the Black Man's Sorrow.

3 comments:

Don said...

This is a great and touching poem. Very significant and meaningful, the kinds of prose which I can read all day. It's about time you stop playing with me and took your thoughts to paper. What was the inspiration behind this prose?

It's funny that wrote a post called A Letter To The Black Woman last week but I never posted it. Me and you both seem to share the same sentiments towards sorrow. I wish things could and would become better concerning you and I, the black man and woman. But I don't everyone feels the same.

So, that's why I am intent on showing nothing but love and compassion towards the ones who feel the same as I do.


Amongst the charcoal filled insides, there lies a light.
A light that beams so bright and warm.
It's so shiny and radiant, it almost pierces your eyes.
Yet you can't turn away.


Great emotion and visualization. I would say something else, but I won't. LOL.


Thanks for taking the time to bless with your ink pen. Very diverse.

I may take a blog break but know that I will be thinking about you. In the event I do, oh, I'm sure you will also be on break. LMAO.


*warm hug*

missrook said...

I hold some deep sentiments about black men and the state of. So no one particular thing inspired the post, just feelings that have been lingering. I am however going to post my thoughts about my time away.

Great emotion and visualization. I would say something else, but I won't. LOL.
Is that so? Well don't be scerred! LOL

I may take a blog break but know that I will be thinking about you. In the event I do, oh, I'm sure you will also be on break. LMAO. NOT LOL! Now dis sum bull. But I will let you slide since I just...well you know. LOL

I WILL still be here, thank you! And I'll hold the fort down till big poppa returns! LOL

*dawg pound* :)

Don said...

Never scared, never. LOL. And I definitely think you hold deep amd truthful sentiments. That's the mark of a passionate and compassionate woman.

I think that's the number 1 reason to why our spirits embraced one another.

Yeah, I know you wouldn't trip about an expected blog break. Not Missrook. LOL.